Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)






weir-faces-four-year-ban

Weir faces four year ban

Weir faces four year ban

Darren Weir facing a four year ban

Melbourne Cup winning horse trainer Darren Weir could be disqualified for four years.

Racing Victoria stewards are seeking the ban, after electrical devices, known as jiggers, were found during raids at his stables last week in Ballarat and Warrnambool.

During an 11-hour show cause hearing on Monday night, Weir said he would not contest charges against him relating to the discovery.

He is not permitted to enter or race any horses as a trainer or owner until the charges are heard at a later date.

Article continues below

Fellow trainer Jarrod McLean said he will be contesting similar charges.

He has been forbidden from training horses that were in Weir's care up until the 30th of January this year, until the hearing.

Racing Victoria Executive Integrity General Manager, Jamie Stier, said the stewards were determined to be thorough and give due consideration to the submissions made, their legal advice and the ongoing investigations.

“Darren Weir is facing serious charges of possessing three electrical apparatus and conduct prejudicial to the interests or image of racing. He has advised the stewards that he will not contest those charges which have drawn considerable negative publicity to the sport," Mr Stier said.

“To that end, stewards have requested that the RAD Board expedite the hearing of Mr Weir’s charges at which point they will be seeking a four-year disqualification.

“Until such time as the RAD Board convenes to hear and determine Mr Weir’s charges, the stewards have imposed strict conditions on his licence that ensure he is not permitted to enter or race any horses as a trainer or owner."

The Latest

Join Us